Many are happy to put out a little extra good to the birds now in the week of easter.
But as with most other things it can be too much of a good thing.
This activity should remain a vinteraktivitet and not taken into the vårvarmen, believe fugleeksperten.
Fugleekspert Tore Slagsvold is professor emeritus of ecology at the University of Oslo and works with animal behaviour in the environment.
Professor of ecology Tore Slagsvold at CEES, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, university of Oslo.
Photo: University of Oslo / university of Oslo
He warns against feeding the birds when spring comes, for that the birds should not be fooled into believing that there is much more food and that they must now hurry to begin to nest.
Then they can lay eggs much earlier than they should, so that when the chicks hatch is there snow, bad weather and nothing in particular larveutvikling.
We need to somehow not triggering the birds to start before they really will find it yourself. By giving them food, we are contributing to it, ” he explains.
Photo: Peace Eyes / NRKTorget also Read: Burned fuglemateren in anger after taking this photo Read also: – don’t feed the ducks and swans Have to find out for yourself
Slagsvold stresses that it to feed the birds in itself in the winter is positive.
the Problem is if birds begin to nest early because they believe there is enough food in the wild.
they can lay up to ten eggs. So these ruges forward in two weeks. Then shall the birds fit on the cubs for several weeks. Thus, it is a long time from the start to add the eggs to the great need for food.
– Then it is important that they find out of this in the environment – when they are laying eggs and not – and that we do not affect the process, emphasizes Slagsvold.
the Professor can tell about events he knows where the people who had laid out the food in the terrain where the birds started early and all the kids died. They laid eggs a week or two before the other.
If it had been nice weather and so had it gone well, but it was so early that the storm can turn back. Then set everything on hold again, and then do not the birds have gone too far in breeding her.
Had to take alvorsprat with furious capercaillie after having been attacked repeatedly on the top Regional differences
Thus, one should now stop to feed the birds in the south now when the spring has come, believes the professor.
In the north one can, however, stay on for a few weeks. Slagsvold has a rule of thumb: Spring is delayed by two to three days per latitude.
While Oslo is located on 60 latitudes, is, for example Bodø at 67. Thus, one can feed three weeks later here.
– Where one can very well feed out april. And in Finnmark a little into may, ” he says.
– Continue with the feed as long as it is full winter
As Slagsvold is inside, you can feel free to hold on a little longer in the north. It is still full winter in many places, and then struggle like the birds to find food.
– as long As it is full winter and snow, you should continue feeding. Then it is clearly an advantage for the local birds that are struggling to find food in the snow, ” says Roar Solheim.
He also agree Slagsvolds statements to hold back a little with the foringen in some cases.
Conservator zoologist PhD, Roar Solheim at the University of Agder think you can help the birds when it is still snow on the ground, but agree that one should not exaggerate the feed when it is bare.
– where there are birdhouses, can you perhaps keep up with the foringen a few weeks until you see that meisene have laid eggs.
the general Secretary Kjetil Aadne Solbakken in the Norwegian Ornithological Association says it usually is okay to wind down fuglematingen throughout the spring. When it comes to large snowfall that we have seen the last few days, it may still be okay to help the birds something.
– An example is bokfinken which, of course, is a migratory. If it suddenly has gotten a lot of snow they can quickly become a bit desperate. Then it can be okay to help them a little bit, ” he says.