Sergey, you have a very versatile professional career. Your experience allows you to make judgements about a situation in which the Belarusian media industry and other sectors of the culture.
is the media industry in the Republic of Belarus continues to develop, and, unfortunately, this process was delayed. It is influenced by many factors. First of all, the volume of the advertising market in our country, the interest of consumers to the national content, and the presence of strong foreign competitors, our neighbors, Russia and Ukraine. The main players of the local market is state – owned TV and radio channels. More precisely they form the taste of the consumer and the market in General.
– are There any quota is the ratio of national and foreign content?
– For music radio there are certain quotas: 75% music content must be Patriotic music and 25% for foreign. This order was relevant to the situation in the past, and today the proportions are not fully respected. The ratio of national and foreign content is now regulated based on the decision of editors-in-chief.
interaction between TRK and rights-holders?
– for a Long time in the Republic of Belarus in the field of collective rights management performed by the national center of intellectual property, and it effectively collaborates with TV and radio channels in the area of copyright.
What can you say about the modern Belarusian music stage? What is its share in the music market today? Do you predict growth in the number of young composers, performers in Belarus?
– I will Say this: the show is, the business no. Accordingly, the development of Belarusian pop rather chaotic, to predict the UPS and downs can not even the most talented producer in our country. From time to time there are young performers and composers. There is a lack of platforms for growth, it is very difficult to win the attention of listeners, and, again, in our territory dominated by the Russian and Ukrainian pop music. To compete with them is very difficult, although some of the authors and artists succeed.
In 2016, you headed a newly created organization, BOIP. What are the goals it set for itself at the time? Which has been realized from previously scheduled, but what else needs special attention?
– Public Association BOUIP was created for a wider and full implementation of the law of the Republic of Belarus on copyright. NCIP is working with the authors of words and music. We were created to and other participants of creative process could also guarantee that their right to remuneration will be implemented.
the Rights of performers are equally important but in our country they still can’t fully realize. Over the years, partly thanks to our work, it was decided to change the existing copyright law that would allow the performers to at least claim the reward.
we Must recognize that the list of what else needs to be done is very large. But most importantly, I think, is to bring to the consciousness of the people, officials, managers and consumers of audio content that the use of musical works without payment of remuneration to authors and performers violates the law of the Republic.
– what are the relationships between BAIP with foreign collective management societies for rights? Are you a member of the International Confederation of societies of authors and composers (CISAC)? If not, do you plan to join?
– today CISAC, of course, is the most representative and authoritative international organization, uniting more companies around the world. Performance standards for the implementation and protection of copyright, generated in the framework of CISAC, we consider as a benchmark in the building processes within BAIP. Strive for the inner workings of our society as an organization for managing the rights was consistent with generally accepted requirements, especially in terms of efficiency, accountability and transparency in relation to the holders.
however, we are soberly assess their current state and realize that we still have a lot of work. We hope that it results in the foreseeable future, BOUIP will be able to apply for membership in CISAC, which on the one hand, will promote growth of authority of our organization, and with another – will allow more reasonably and actively counting on the support of international partners to implement proven international practice of implementation of copyright on a collective basis in the Belarusian conditions.
if you are Using in the work of their organization experience Akopov from other countries?
– Yes, we are carefully studying the experience of our colleagues from Russia, know the experience of France, Baltic States. We have to go and someone to look up to.
do you Apply modern technologies to track the use of works of authors? Is there a need?
– This solution is very popular. I sincerely believe that the less human intervention in the chain author/artist – the consumer, the more effective job, and the better and more interesting as the creators and consumers of music content. In our market there are a number of technologies for tracking,tion works. In my opinion, the most quality solution from the Russian company “Formaks”. And we would be happy to cooperate with this company on the territory of the Republic of Belarus.
I am Convinced that with the development of it-technologies will change, and how the activities of the societies for collective management of copyright. At the moment our country needs solutions that allow the author or artist to have your own online account for the conclusion of contracts, transfer of rights, track the uptake of their works.
– Recently entered into force, the Beijing Treaty in the field of intellectual property, the complexity of which was discussed at mediaplace EACOM in the first release of Creative Global Talks. Whether ratified the Beijing Treaty Belarus? Not whether BOUIP in the acting community to help deal with the possibility of obtaining “fair compensation”?
– it Should be noted that the conversation about the Beijing contract, held in the framework of the Global Creative Talks was very informative and interesting. This fact alone speaks in favor of the continuation of such professional discussions, which help to create a clear understanding of the issues and outline possible ways of their decision, based on experience of partners in other countries. In Belarus the question of accession to the Beijing Treaty indefinitely postponed.
unfortunately, the main reasons for this lie in the economic plane. The Belarusian legislation on copyright and related rights already contains provisions similar in effect to the norms of the Beijing Treaty. However, the government is still dominated by the view that accession to the Treaty will be an incentive for another category of rights holders to raise the issue of the redistribution in their favor a certain share of the revenues from the use of products of the creative industry. In turn, such changes in current economic conditions while seem impractical to those who makes decisions.
it is sad to realize, but the community of rights holders, including an acting part in Belarus for many years is in the position of begging for attention and support from the state. At the same time to solve government related issues with priority of right-holders, apparently, has not come yet.
BAIP was one of the founders of ECOP. What you mean the phrase “Eurasian integration” in the sphere of intellectual property?
We are proud to be one of the founders of ECOP. All countries participating in AACAP very different, with different experiences. For creative work there are no boundaries. We can’t “lock” a song within one��States. Accordingly, the rights of authors, where this piece would sound, should be as implemented. The most important component in the area of collective management is the experience, and it is within IACOP we share this experience in helping those who are just getting in the way collective management of copyright.
I would really like to ECOP was more active in the field of copyright protection. Convinced that ECOP should take place along with economic and political institutions, in the framework of the Eurasian economic Union (EEU).
July 23 at 12:00 at online site Zoom will be a meeting in the framework of the project Global Creative Talks “Composers online”. The event will bring together experts of intellectual property, composers, producers and other artists. The event will be IACOP.