On the eve of Christmas, the portal “Learn Moscow” invites you to take an online quest dedicated to the temple architecture of the capital. Participants will have 10 questions related to the history of the ancient church of St. John the Warrior on Bolshaya Yakimanka, the architectural features of the church of St. Spyridon of Trimifunt, the events that occurred in the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos in Brattsevo after the October Revolution, and other interesting facts about Moscow churches.
The first question of the quest is dedicated to the Temple of John the Warrior on Bolshaya Yakimanka. It began to be built in 1709 after the victory over the Swedes in the Battle of Poltava — on this occasion, Tsar Peter I made a generous contribution to the construction. The church was built in the Baroque style, presumably according to the project of the architect Ivan Petrovich Zarudny. One of the characteristic features of the temple’s architecture is its composition, which has received a special name. Users will have to remember it.
The second question is about the church of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God on Bolshaya Ordynka. The first mention of it dates back to 1625 — then the church was wooden and had a different dedication-in the name of St. George the Victorious. The stone building replaced the wooden building in 1673, and subsequently it was rebuilt several times. Historically, the church was located on the outskirts of the city, when the border of Moscow passed along the trajectory of the Garden Ring. From here, the church received an addition to the name. Which one exactly-it is necessary to answer the user.
The revolution of 1917 had an impact on public and social life. At this time, the mass closure of churches begins, many of them are being demolished. One of the oldest churches in the capital, known since 1548, still managed to avoid a sad fate: in the 1930s, local residents-famous actors and composers-sent a letter to the VTSIK with a request to cancel the decree on the closure of the church. The church remained active, but the bells in it did not ring until the 1990s. What is the name of this church — users will remember, answering the third question of the online quest.
In the early 1930s, the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos, built in the XVII century in Brattseve, was closed. Its domes were demolished, the bell tower was dismantled, valuable artifacts were seized. In the partially rebuilt premises of the temple in the post-war years there were various infrastructure facilities, but one of them was never settled here. What exactly is the fourth question of the quest.
Another church of the XVII century did not escape interference from the Soviet authorities. In 1934, the bells were dropped from it, and four years later they were closed altogether. Most of the church utensils and icons were destroyed, and the one that survived was transferred to the clergy and museums. Services were resumed here only in 1990. Participants need�д dimo remember the name of the temple.
The next question is related to the architectural features of the church of St. Spyridon of Trimifunt, built in 2013 in the Nagatinsky Zaton on Sudostroitelnaya Street. In 2014, a unique cross appeared on its dome. It is decorated with a gilded openwork pattern, and the main detail is colored glass inserts equipped with LEDs. The participants of the quest will have to name the height of the cross.
The Church of the Icon of the Mother of God “Skoroposlushnitsa” on the Khodynka field is another example of Orthodox architecture. The name of the shrine in our time raises questions: what we used to call the Khodynka field is located two kilometers from the temple. However, in the XIX century, when the church appeared here, the area of the Khodynka field was much larger. Answering the seventh question of the quest, you need to specify the style in which the temple is built.
The eighth question is dedicated to the ancient Church of the Savior on the Sands. According to documents, it has been known since 1643, but it appeared earlier than this date thanks to the Streletsky regiment, which was based in these places. For many years, the headman of the temple was a relative of the famous Russian playwright. Users need to tell the name of this person.
On the facade of one of the churches, you can see a sundial — the only one in Moscow located directly on the temple building. Which one of them is the ninth question of the quest.
The final question of the quiz is dedicated to a remarkable event in the church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in Yasenev. In 1822, the parents of one of the most famous Russian classics were married here — their names will be remembered by the participants.
“Find out Moscow” — a joint project of the Moscow Departments of Information Technology, Culture, cultural Heritage, education and Science. The interactive guide contains descriptions of more than two thousand buildings and structures, 659 monuments, 326 museums, 376 urban areas, information about 267 historical figures, more than 140 thematic routes and 77 online quests. The app for iOS and Android devices can be downloaded from the App Store and Google Play.