FC Bayern landed a real hit at the end of the transfer window and loaned Joao Cancelo from Manchester City. Union Berlin’s deal with ex-real star Isco has meanwhile burst. Frankfurt brings an ex-national player back to the Bundesliga. All news about the transfer deadline in the ticker.
Friday, February 3, 6:10 a.m.: According to media information, the final of the transfer phase ended disastrously for the troubled capital club Hertha BSC. Accordingly, a total of eight planned transfers should no longer have come about. This is reported by the “Berliner Zeitung”.
In addition, the former managing director of sport, Fredi Bobic, is said to have almost completed two transfers shortly before he was thrown out of the “old lady”. According to the “Berliner Zeitung”, it should be about the two strikers Maximilian Philipp and Gauthier Hein. In the end, both decided to join other clubs – Philipp moved to Bremen, Hein to Auxerre.
The eight failed transfers are now faced with only one newcomer. Tolga Cigerci, who played for the capital club from 2013 to 2016, returned to the Spree from the Turkish league on the so-called “Deadline Day”.
Why did the transfer deals fall through? The new Hertha sports director Benjamin Weber explained this according to “Sky” information by saying that the club ultimately lacked the conviction of some players. But Hertha’s limited financial leeway was also a reason.
Weber, once the head of the Hertha youth department for many years, followed the dismissed Fredi Bobic after the bitter bankruptcy in the city derby against Union. He has held the position of sports director since June 2021. Criticism of Bobic has increased recently, as he did not show a lucky hand with either players or coaches.
Despite the threat of relegation to second division, Hertha is sticking with head coach Sandro Schwarz for the time being. Black must now achieve the feat of preventing the worst-case scenario with the current squad. Hertha travels to Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday as the penultimate.
Wednesday, February 1, 5:55 p.m.: The English Premier League broke its own transfer record with the end of the winter window. According to this, the 20 first division clubs spent just over three billion euros on new players in the 2022/23 season, almost twice as much as the previous record. The old transfer record for a season had already been broken in the summer with over two billion.
In the winter transfer window, the clubs invested another 800 million euros, twice as much as in the record winter of 2018. Premier League spending accounted for 79 percent of the total spending of the five major European football leagues. Chelsea spent €329.50m in January, more than the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 combined.
8:43 p.m .: Eintracht Frankfurt has agreed on an early end to the loan of full-back Luca Pellegrini from Juventus Turin. As the Bundesliga club announced on Tuesday, the 23-year-old is returning to the Italian club with immediate effect.
The loan contract was originally valid until the end of the current season. Pellegrini had only appeared in nine games for Eintracht.
8:22 p.m .: Before Union Berlin’s cup duel against VfL Wolfsburg, sports director Oliver Ruhnert spoke to “Sky” about the failed transfer from ex-real star Isco to the irons. “In the end it is clear that negotiated things are also negotiated things. We’re sticking to our philosophy,” said Ruhnert.
Accordingly, Isco’s consulting agency wanted to change details of the contract afterwards, although the parties already seemed to agree. Ruhnert did not reveal whether it was about the term or the salary. “I’m sorry for the player,” said the sports director. The team informed Ruhnert early on in his plans to sign the Spanish star player. An unusual event in professional football.
7:12 p.m .: FC Augsburg strikes the transfer market for the seventh time this winter. Up until now, there have primarily been reinforcements for the offensive, but the Fuggerstadt team have now secured a jewel for defensive midfield.
Renato Veiga comes to the Bavarian Swabians from Sporting Lisbon for a year – including a purchase option. With this, the FCA manages a real transfer coup. The almost 1.90 meter tall clearer is considered a great talent and is captain of the Portuguese U-20 national team.
4:53 p.m .: As the “kicker” reports, Myziane Maolida could leave Hertha BSC at the last minute. As the club announced on Tuesday, the 23-year-old forward is on his way to France for talks with Ligue 1 club Stade Reims. Maolida has only made three appearances for Hertha this season.
4:03 p.m .: The second division football club Karlsruher SC, threatened with relegation, signed the Georgian center forward Budu Zivzivadze shortly before the end of the transfer period. The 15-time national player comes to the game park from the Hungarian first division club Fehérvár FC, said the table-15. on Tuesday with
The contract with the 28-year-old runs until June 30, 2025. Zivzivadze is the second KSC signing of the winter break after defender Daniel Brosinski who was previously without a club.
3.30 p.m .: The dream transfer from Union Berlin has failed! As the “Bild” reports, ex-real star Isco had already passed the medical check at the Berlin Charité.
But then the role came backwards. As the consulting agency Gestifute explained to the tabloid newspaper, the “negotiating partners were no longer willing” to “move within the originally discussed framework”.
Union manager Oliver Ruhnert also said to “Bild”: “We would have liked to see Isco with us, but we have our limits. Contrary to previous agreements, these were exceeded today, which is why the transfer did not take place.”
2:28 p.m .: Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern Munich is about to move to Manchester United. “Bild” and transfer expert Fabrizio Romano report this in unison. It is fitting that the Austrian was absent from Bayern training on Tuesday.
One reason for Sabitzer’s move could be Konrad Laimer’s transfer to Bayern Munich in the summer. This makes things even tighter in FCB’s already lush midfield center. At Manchester United, on the other hand, it was announced on Tuesday that midfield star Christian Eriksen would be out until the end of April with an ankle injury. So a permanent position for Sabitzer would be vacant.
1:53 p.m .: FC Schalke 04 is once again adding personnel in the Bundesliga relegation battle. On Tuesday, the last day of the current winter transfer window, the club signed Colombia international Éder Balanta on loan. The defensive midfielder comes from Belgian champions FC Brugge until the end of the season and is the sixth winter signing that Schalke have loaned out.
Balanta, who moved from FC Basel to Bruges in 2019 and still has a contract there until 2024, has played 122 games for the Belgians so far. This also includes seven appearances in the Champions League.
12.35 p.m .: According to information from “Sport1”, Borussia Dortmund reduced the squad again shortly before the end of the transfer. Thorgan Hazard has joined Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven on loan until the end of the season. There should not be a purchase option for the winger. Eindhoven takes over the entire salary.
12:26 p.m .: Now it’s official! The transfer of the Portuguese national defender João Cancelo to FC Bayern Munich is perfect. As the German record champion announced on Tuesday, the World Cup player will be loaned out by Manchester City until the end of the season.
In addition, the Munich secured a purchase option. According to media reports, this should be around 70 million euros. The 28-year-old’s contract with the English champions runs until June 30, 2027. Cancelo is a candidate for a match in the round of 16 at FSV Mainz 05 on Wednesday.
With Cancelo, one of the best full-backs in the world is coming to the Bundesliga. “With his attacking style of play and his dynamics, he fits perfectly into our system and with his mentality and experience also very well with our team,” said sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic according to the announcement.
Cancelo, who played on both the right and left flank at City, is considered a preferred candidate by coach Julian Nagelsmann. “FC Bayern is a great club, one of the best clubs in the world, and it’s a huge motivation for me to be in a team with these extraordinary players,” the Portuguese was quoted as saying.
New signing João Cancelo has not yet given any thought to a possible future at Bayern after his loan ended this summer. “First of all, we have to see what these five months will bring,” said the 28-year-old Portuguese national soccer player at his official presentation in Munich on Tuesday. His priority now is “to support this team as much as possible”. According to his own statements, Cancelo has not yet completely finished with the Manchester City chapter: “I don’t see it as a final farewell to the club.” He justified his desire to change with the last short season.
Surf tip: Season 2022/23 – FC Bayern including Cancelo: The current contracts at a glance
11:32 a.m .: Second division leaders SV Darmstadt 98 signed a player a few hours before the transfer window closed. The courted striker Filip Stojilkovic comes from the Swiss club FC Sion and has signed a contract until June 30, 2027, as the Hessians announced on Tuesday. The 23-year-old Swiss has also reportedly received offers from FC Schalke 04 and Juventus Turin but settled on coach Torsten Lieberknecht’s Bundesliga contender.
“I really wanted to go to the lilies and I’m really happy that it finally worked out. The talks with those involved in Darmstadt gave me a very good feeling right from the start and I haven’t just been following the club’s path since yesterday,” said Stojilkovic.
Coach Lieberknecht, who already has a strong attacking line, is also enthusiastic. “He is a talented player and has not yet reached the end of his development, which is why we are convinced that he can help us after an adjustment period,” said the 49-year-old.
11:00 a.m .: The change from ex-national player Philipp Max to Europa League winner Eintracht Frankfurt is perfect. The 29-year-old full-back from PSV Eindhoven will initially be loaned out until the end of the season, as the Hessians announced on Tuesday a few hours before the end of the transfer. There is also a purchase option for Max afterwards.
“With Philipp Max we gain an experienced defender who makes us even more variable and flexible for the numerous demanding tasks in the second half of the season,” said sporting director Markus Krösche according to the club’s announcement.
The European Cup winner from Hesse is still represented in all three competitions and is fighting for another Champions League qualification in the Bundesliga. Max’s loan is also a reaction to junior Dina Ebimbe’s long absence after a syndesmosis rupture. He also plays on the flank.
“With his skills and as a person, he fits perfectly into our team and we are happy that we have the option of being able to retain him for the long term,” said Krösche. Sport1 had already reported on the upcoming transfer on Monday. Before moving to Eindhoven, Max had played for FC Augsburg for a number of years.
Tuesday, January 31, 9:02 a.m .: According to media reports, winger Gauthier Hein will not switch to Bundesliga club Hertha BSC, which is in danger of relegation. The “Bild” newspaper and Sport1 reported on Tuesday that there was no agreement between the club and the 26-year-old. The professional from AJ Auxerre is said to have already been to Berlin for a medical check-up.
The Berliners and their new sports director Benjamin Weber are still looking for reinforcements shortly before the end of the transfer period on Tuesday. According to “Bild”, Hertha are now trying to get winger Theo Bongonda from FC Cadiz.
Hertha was also said to be interested in Maximilian Philipp. The native of Berlin switched instead to Werder Bremen on loan from VfL Wolfsburg. Moroccan World Cup player Selim Amallah from Standard Liège is said to prefer a move to Spain to Real Valladolid.
8:45 p.m .: Speculations have been coming up again and again in the past few days. As the Spanish broadcaster “Cope” reports via Twitter, the Spanish star player Isco is said to be about to become involved with Union Berlin. The Spaniards report that the former Real Madrid player is set to sign at Koepenick by the end of the season with an option for a further year.
Transfer expert Florian Plettenberg from “Sky” confirmed the pending deal on Twitter and already spoke of an agreement. With the difference that Isco should sign immediately until 2024. The sports medical examination should also take place on Tuesday.
7:10 p.m .: TSG Hoffenheim has secured the services of Danish international Thomas Delaney until the end of the season. The Kraichgauer borrow the 31-year-old midfielder from the Spanish first division club FC Sevilla, as announced by TSG on Monday evening.
“I’m happy to be here in Hoffenheim and back in the Bundesliga,” said Delaney, who has also played for Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund: “I want to do my part to ensure that we as TSG are successful again.”
Delaney has completed 107 matches in the Bundesliga so far. With BVB he won the DFB Cup in 2021. In Denmark, the veteran celebrated five national championship titles with FC Copenhagen and won the Danish Cup four times. The 72-time international was also part of Denmark’s World Cup squad in Qatar.
6:06 p.m .: According to “Het Laatste Nieuws” from Belgium and Colombian media, Schalke Eder Balanta (29) wants to borrow from Club Brugge, the clubs are said to have already reached an agreement. However, Schalke should not be given a purchase option. The defensive midfielder moved from Basel to Bruges in 2019, but currently plays no role for the Belgians.
5:15 p.m .: In Bremen they had actually assumed that the transfer period would end quietly. But then the staff carousel got moving on Monday. Maximilian Philipp is on loan from VfL Wolfsburg until the end of the season, while Oliver Burke is leaving the Green-Whites and will probably go on loan to English second division club FC Millwall until the end of the season.
A castling in which Bremen can feel like a winner. Because Philipp, who can be used offensively in several positions, gives the North Germans significantly more options than they lose to Burke. The Scot was recently unable to live up to expectations on the Weser after a promising start. “Maximilian is a really good footballer who can play in attacking midfield or as a second striker. This gives us more options in our game going forward,” said Werder coach Ole Werner.
Burke has made 15 appearances so far this season, scoring two goals. But there was no getting past the storm duo Niclas Füllkrug/Marvin Ducksch. Most recently, Werner had criticized the 25-year-old Scot for not showing enough performance in training and for stagnating in his development
3:22 p.m .: Attacking player Torben Müsel changes from Borussia Mönchengladbach to the third division soccer team Rot-Weiss Essen. The 23-year-old came to Gladbach from 1. FC Kaiserslautern in 2018, but never made it through to Borussia’s Bundesliga team. A new start at another club is the best thing for Müsel, said Gladbach’s sporting director Roland Virkus on Monday.
Müsel, who has struggled with injuries several times in his career, made two appearances for the Lower Rhine team in the Bundesliga. This season he played ten times in the regional league for Gladbach’s second team, scoring five goals. In Essen, Müsel signed a contract until 2024.
1:55 p.m .: VfB Stuttgart has hit the transfer market twice. Midfielder Genki Haraguchi comes from league competitor Union Berlin. According to “Kicker”, the fee should be around one million euros. This is VfB’s reaction to Naouirou Ahamada’s forthcoming departure from Crystal Palace.
The Portuguese Gil Dias from Benfica Lisbon is also coming to Stuttgart. The winger can be used flexibly and is also committed due to Tiago Tomas’ injury, as confirmed by VfB sporting director Fabian Wohlgemuth.
A commitment from Wolfsburg’s Luca Waldschmidt, in which Stuttgart is said to be interested, has not yet been confirmed. Because the offensive player’s contract runs until 2025, there is a loan deal in the room.
1:28 p.m .: Transfer cracker in the Bundesliga! As reported by several media outlets, Joao Cancelo is moving from Manchester City to FC Bayern on loan from Manchester City. Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano also confirms corresponding reports.
In recent years, the Portuguese has been one of the top performers in ex-Bayern coach Pep Guardiola’s team. In the last two league games of the “Skyblues” Cancelo was surprisingly only on the bench.
The young Josip Stanisic had recently played at the right back for the troubled Bayern, while world champion Pavard stewed on the bench for 90 minutes. After the game against Cologne, Bayern coach Nagelsmann removed the 2018 world champion from the starting XI.
12:57 p.m .: Midfielder Naouirou Ahamada is about to say goodbye to Bundesliga club VfB Stuttgart. “Unfortunately, he won’t be available to me,” said VfB coach Bruno Labbadia one day before the DFB Cup round of 16 on Tuesday at SC Paderborn (6 p.m. / Sky). “He’s in London at the moment. Nothing is ready yet because nothing has been signed yet,” said Labbadia. According to media reports, Crystal Palace wants to sign the 20-year-old Frenchman.
Labbadia very much regretted the departure of the regular player. Due to financial constraints, the club had to give up Ahamada. “It’s something that’s not in my interest or in the sporting sense,” said the coach. “We have to accept things that are not ideal for the sporting situation.” The club can only reinvest a “fraction” of the transfer fee.
Ahamada had moved to Stuttgart from the youth of Juventus Turin in the summer of 2021. In the first games under Labbadia he was a regular player, but had already caused a penalty and received a yellow-red card.
12.34 p.m .: According to a report by the Sport1 Internet portal, Eintracht Frankfurt is apparently considering signing Philipp Max from the Dutch first division soccer team PSV Eindhoven. After Junior Dina Ebimbe (Syndesmoseriss) was out for months, the Bundesliga club has a need for staff on the flanks. Especially since fourth in the table is still in the running in the DFB Cup and in the Champions League.
The 29-year-old former national player still has a contract in Eindhoven until 2024. Max played for FC Augsburg for five years until 2020 and made 147 Bundesliga appearances. He played for the top Dutch club for two years with Mario Götze, who has been in Frankfurt since the beginning of the season.
Monday, January 30, 9:41 a.m .: According to a media report, Dutch runner-up PSV Eindhoven is interested in signing Borussia Dortmund’s offensive player Thorgan Hazard. As the “Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung” reported on Sunday before BVB’s game in the Bundesliga at Bayern Leverkusen, a loan deal with a purchase option was being discussed.
The 29-year-old Belgian has been playing for Dortmund since the summer of 2019 and has made 14 Bundesliga appearances this season, but mostly only as a backup player. During the week in the 2-1 draw at FSV Mainz 05 he was not in the squad.