The climate activists from “Last Generation” wanted to meet with members of the federal government on Thursday. However, as Federal Justice Minister Marco Buschmann told RBB, this meeting will not take place because the group violates criminal law.

“The last generation demonstrates and draws attention to a cause, that is their right. At the same time, it violates the rights of third parties and criminal law, of course that’s not the basis for a good conversation,” Buschmann told RBB. The federal government cannot legitimize legal violations retrospectively by responding to such invitations to talk, the FDP politician continued.

A team of activists wanted to negotiate with the politicians “about the first safety measures in the disaster – 100 km/h on the motorway and a €9 ticket for local transport”. The “Last Generation” announced that the end of the protests would also depend on the outcome of the discussion.

Justice Minister Buschmann rejects this dialogue and at the same time spoke out against harsher penalties for climate demonstrators, as previously demanded by Bavaria’s Prime Minister Markus Söder (CSU). According to the FDP politician, it must also be clarified whether a criminal charge can be derived from the blockade of the A100 at the end of October, as a result of which a rescue vehicle of the Berlin fire brigade was stuck in a traffic jam on its journey to a cyclist who had had an accident in Berlin. A 44-year-old cyclist was run over by a concrete mixer in the accident. She died in hospital a few days later.

According to the on-site emergency doctor, it was too dangerous to lift the concrete mixer with technical equipment. She decided to move the concrete mixer with her own engine power to free the trapped victim. The Berlin fire brigade, on the other hand, comes to the conclusion in its final report on the accident that the climate activists have hindered the rescue of the cyclist. “The timely arrival of the rescue vehicle would have offered those responsible on site further options for action,” says the report from the Berlin fire brigade.