For Muscovites staged a virtual walk through the streets of the capital with unusual names, during which he explained the origin of the names of these streets, reported on the official website of the Moscow mayor.
“most of the streets with unusual names are located in the center of Moscow. Place names in this part of the city was built already in the XVII century and were mainly associated with geographic features like rivers or handicraft villages — Pottery, Serebryanicheskaya, Kadashevskaya, Chamouni, Cooking and so on”, — stated in the material.
Often street names came from the names of land – or homeowners: Zubovskaya square, Milyutinskiy pereulok. Also common names associated with Church and state objects.
Street Susan in the Park of the Museum-reserve “Kolomenskoye” comes from the name of the river, but just set the name for a river, it is difficult, it is assumed that the hydronym comes from the word “puddle” or “swill”.
Also in honor of the tributaries of the Moscow river was named street Lenivka, Volkhonka in Khamovniki. Pond-Keys in Lefortovo takes its name from the pond that was in the upper reaches of the river a Beggar. The pond was famous for the pure spring water.
Pereulok Sivtsev Vrazhek associated with the hydronym and with the word “ravine”. In the XVII century at the bottom of the ravine flowed the river Siwiec or Plovers, hence the name alley. In XVII-XIX centuries the river has taken on the manifold. Lane has repeatedly changed its name and was the Trinity, Protsevskiy and Podyacheskaya.
Street Pinch and Hook are United by one story. When the city drove the carts, they searched near the shaft, sharepoi (chain) using a long probe. Thus the area was called Zazou from the shaft, and the Pinch comes from the inspection probe.
Eldorados lane in the Airport area used to be called the Monastic Land, because the territory belonged to the Vysokopetrovsky monastery. In the early XX century it was called Gypsy corner for Roma living there. They were songs in the restaurant “Eldorado”, hence the name alley.
In Yakimanka district 1st and 2nd Babiogorski alleys, their name is connected with the hanging hammer that drove the piles for strengthening of the river in XVII–XIX centuries. This hammer was called Baba.
Travel Straw hut called so because built for the guard house with insulation of pressed straw. The watchman who guarded the lands that belonged to the Petrovskaya Academy of agriculture and forestry. In the second half of the century there began to appear, testify, and soon the name of the Straw Hut was fixed.
Street Brick dredging is named after is located here in 1900-ies brick plant, A. P. Verhovskogo. The company mined clay for bricks.
From the names of the owners of lands there names Lyalin, Crickets and vypolzov lane. In the plan area.ti XVII century, you can find the village of vypolzovo.
In 1911 he built a cottage settlement “Krasnaya Sosna”, which cemented the name in the Yaroslavl region. The developer tried the same name to attract buyers.
Gold street was named in honor of the goldsmiths, or scavengers that night took out waste. In jokes of impurity called “night of gold”.
The last lane was really the last in the XVIII century on the odd side of Sretenka. Then the alley became Cold because here were butchers, and in 1922 he returned to the historical name, because the stalls were removed.