Mesut Özil has been excluded from the Fenerbahce Istanbul squad since March. The 2014 world champion wants to defy his fate, after all he “didn’t come home for vacation,” said the 33-year-old.
Former world champion Mesut Özil has confirmed that he wants to fulfill his contract with Fenerbahçe Istanbul despite the current suspension. “I didn’t come to Fenerbahce and my home country Turkey for vacation,” Özil wrote on Instagram, emphasizing: “I’m preparing myself individually with a special program and am patiently waiting for my time to get involved with my childhood sweetheart.”
Özil, who joined Fenerbahçe from Arsenal in the English Premier League last year, has been excluded from the squad since March. His contract with the top Turkish club, which qualified for the Champions League as second in the championship behind Trabzonspor, runs until June 30, 2024. He has many goals that he wants to live with at Fenerbahçe. “I will not give up football until I have done these things,” said Özil.
The reason for the suspension was not made public. In November, club president Ali Koc complained that Özil finally had to focus on his work and put his business matters aside. After a substitution, there is said to have been a dispute between the star and coach Ismail Kartal.
Most recently, his advisor Erkut Sögüt said that the 2014 world champion could start a new career as an e-sportsman after his football career ended.
12 months of the best live sports for only €24.99 per month. for 12 months instead of €29.99 per month and can be canceled at any time.