Alexander Zverev, third-ranked, was kicked out of the Mexican Open after smashing his racket against the chair of the umpire just moments after losing a doubles game.
After Zverev, Marcelo Melo and Lloyd Glasspool lost to Harri Heliovaara and Harri Helo, the incident occurred at 10:06 on Tuesday in Acapulco.
Zverev struck three times on the chair of the umpire, then sat down for a while, before yelling at Alessandro Germani, “destroyed (expletive), the entire match”, and striking the chair with his racket again as the umpire got up. Germani had pulled his feet back one time out of fear of being struck.
Zverev was already in trouble for violating code minutes earlier when he yelled and cursed in protest at a shot that was not ruled in. This set up match point. Glasspool won the match with an Ace.
Alexander Zverev was disqualified from the tournament in Acapulco due to his unsportsmanlike conduct after the close of his doubles match on Tuesday evening,” the ATP announced on Twitter Wednesday morning.
The German 24-year-old was the defending champion of the singles. According to the ATP website, his second-round opponent Peter Gojowczyk has been granted a walkover.
Zverev gave his broken racket to a child on the front row, as the crowdbooed.
Zverev posted a statement on Wednesday on Instagram, in which he apologized.
He wrote, “It is hard to express how deeply I regret my behavior after and during the doubles match yesterday.” “I have privately apologized for my behavior towards the chair umpire. It was unacceptable and wrong. I am disappointed in myself.” This should never have happened, and there’s no excuse.
Zverev apologized to the fans and said sorry for possible suspension.
He continued, “As you all know, I leave everything on court.” “Yesterday, too much was left. I will take the next few days to reflect on my actions and what I can do to prevent it from happening again. “I am sorry that I let you down.”
Zverev, who was in Mexico for the fifth consecutive time in his career, won the title in 2021 after beating Stefanos Tisipas in final.
Raul Zurutuza, tournament director, said that it was a shame for the tournament as well as the fans. Unsportsmanlike conducts, however, are unacceptable. It is clearly stated in the rule book and must be enforced.
Daniil Medvedev, who was still chasing the No. To move on to the second round, Daniil Medvedev won 6-3,6-4 over Benoit Paire.
If he wins this title, the 26-year-old Russian could surpass Novak Djokovic to the top spot in men’s rankings.
Medvedev won the 2021 U.S. Open. He was also a runner up to Rafael Nadal at the Australian Open last month.
Medvedev said, “It’s difficult to come back after some rest. “I was able to fight to the end against a very strong opponent, and I’m glad that I won.”
Next up, he will play Pablo Andujar who defeated Alex Hernandez 6-0 and 6-1.
If Medvedev wins the tournament or Djokovic fails to win the title at Dubai, then he will be the first person other than Djokovic and Nadal to hold the top spot from 2004.
He stated that he was thinking about the milestone but admitted that it may not be next week.
He said, “I know it can be possible in the next three tournaments. That’s why it’s not an impossible dream anymore. It’s a goal.” “And I will play well in the three next tournaments to reach it.”
Medvedev could face the fourth-seeded Nadal in Mexico, who opened with a 6-3 and 6-2 victory over Denis Kudla.
Nadal, who won Acapulco titles in 2005, 13, and 20, will next face Stefan Kozlov on Wednesday.
Nadal could meet Medvedev for the first-time since the Australian Open semifinals in Acapulco. Nadal won the Melbourne Park final in five sets to break a tie with Federer, Djokovic and win a 21st Grand Slam singles record. Medvedev was also prevented from winning his second major title at the next Grand Slam event, which is the first time Medvedev has won a major title in the Open era.
Nadal stated initially that after winning the Australian title, he considered skipping Acapulco in order to rest his body. However, he later decided to return to Mexico.
Nadal stated, “In the past few years, I have played fewer tournaments… but now I do it where my heart is at, and at this stage of my career, this (is) a place that) leaves me feeling good.”
Contrary to Medvedev’s assertion, Nadal, 35 years old, said that he no longer desires the highest ranking.
“That was my last chance. All my physical problems have taken that opportunity away from me, and I don’t want to chase that goal anymore. He said that it would be a mistake to pursue it.” “If I can do that while only playing in the tournaments I can, then I’d be very happy.”
He stated that it was unlikely due to the quality and number of younger players who are able to participate in more tournaments then he is.
Other matches on Tuesday saw Stefanos Tsitsipas defeat Laslo Djere 7-6(7) 7-6(4), Tommy Paul advance to a meeting avec Dusan Lajovic after fifth-seeded Matteo Berrettini quit their match in the second round due to an abdominal injury and Yoshihito Naga beat Feliciano Lopez 2-66-0, 6-4.