The people’s Observatory in Gorky Park will be restored. The Department of cultural heritage of Moscow has approved the project of the necessary work. Astronomical pavilion was built in the 1950s, the works were completed in 1957 during the postwar reconstruction of the Park, which involved a team of architects under the direction of Vitaly Dolganova.
Two-storey brick building of the national Observatory is located near the main entrance arch at the address: ulitsa Krymskiy Val, 9, building 5. It is a rotunda with two symmetrical staircases. The building covered with a dome, equipped with a rotating mechanism, and sliding doors.
The decoration of the facades of the Observatory is based on the combination of red and white flowers. Thus, the blades (vertical ridges on the wall-like columns without bases and capitals) and the dome belt painted white. The spaces between the blades lined with red brick and decorated with round Windows.
Inside the building, update the flooring with wood and granite, and the walls will restore the plaster and paint layers.
“This is the first comprehensive restoration for all time of existence of the building. Part of the load-bearing structures is in poor condition — the assistants will take them in order. But the main aim of rehabilitation is to preserve the historical appearance and functionality of the building. The pavilion will reinforce the brickwork and will restore the plaster layer of street stairways, stair railings and fencing, as well as the cashier window sash and the casing. Window frames and doors made of different materials, replaced with hardwood. Facades clean from dirt and dust, and then paint in red and white colors. And the dome will be treated with anti-corrosive composition,” — said the head of the Moscow Department of cultural heritage Alexey Emelyanov.
Over 20 years the Observatory was closed to visitors, but in September 2012, re-opened its doors. There are installed two powerful telescope and automatic sliding dome.
Held in the pavilion afternoon and evening astronomic tour, told about the device telescopes. The Observatory closed in the fall and winter, but in the Day of cosmonautics, April 12, once again began to welcome guests. However, more than six years, the pavilion is not working.
“The project of the Observatory was the model, its author is unknown. Similar structures in the 50-60-ies of the last century appeared in many parks of culture and rest in Moscow and other cities of the USSR. Astronomical pavilions worked in the summer. In good weather, under the guidance of the duty astronomer there were conducted observations of heavenly bodies. And folk these observatories came to be called because access has been opened to everyone. By the way, to our days in the capital remained only d��e model of the Observatory in Gorky Park and in Sokolniki Park,” — said the press service of Gorky Park.
The people’s Observatory in Gorky Park — identified object of cultural heritage. This means that all work will be conducted under the supervision of specialists of the Moscow cultural heritage Department and only agreed upon by the Agency project.
Central Park of culture and rest was founded in 1928. The chief architect who designed the grounds from the main entrance to Neskuchny garden was the avant-gardist Konstantin Melnikov.
In 1932, the reconstruction project of the Park was begun by the architects Alexander Vlasov and Alexey Shchusev.
In 2013, the Park transferred part of the territory of the natural reserve “Sparrow hills” and part of the territory of the Moscow state University named after M. V. Lomonosov. And in 2015-m in it was composed and the Park of arts “Muzeon” — the largest in Russia Museum of sculptures under the open sky.
Large-scale reconstruction of the historical objects on the territory of Gorky Park has been ongoing for several years. So, in 2018, the Park completed the restoration circumference two side wings of the main entrance. Since 1950-ies there were cash pavilions. During the work which lasted two years, experts have restored the facades and interiors circumference. Six of the 42 cash boxes remain open, they are decorated with signs “cash”.
In the near future planned restoration of the grotto of count Orlov in Neskuchny garden. Gardening building was built in the late XVIII century. The restoration will hold for the first time in the history of the grotto. Experts will result in the order of masonry, and would also restore the historic character of the lookout.
Now the Park ongoing restoration of the famous gazebo rotundas Golitsyn hospital on Pushkinskaya embankment. Experts have begun to restore the historical appearance of the gazebos. To complete the work and open them for guests of the Park is planned before the end of September.
Conservation and restoration of architectural monuments in Moscow — the most important direction in the work of the Department of cultural heritage. Many monuments find a new life, adapt them for modern use, while maintaining the historical appearance of the capital. Since 2011 the city has restored more than 1,400 objects of cultural heritage, 203 of which in 2019.