The year 2023 will bring many changes and innovations in various areas for consumers. Both in the area of ​​finance as well as cars and private households are affected. Here we offer you an overview of what the turn of the year in 2023 means for you.

From January 2023 these innovations and changes will take effect:

From January 2023, employees no longer need to present the yellow slip to their employer when they receive a sick note. From the New Year, this will be transmitted electronically from the doctor’s office to the insurance company, which in turn will forward the health insurance certificate to the employer.

You can read more detailed information on electronic sick leave here: Changes to the AU – document will be abolished – what will change in sick leave from 2023

In the new year, midi-jobbers can earn 2,000 euros per month and pay lower social security contributions. Until the end of 2022, the earnings limit was 1,600 euros per month.

You can earn unlimited additional income on top of your old-age pension. If pensioners receive an employment pension, they may earn 17,823.75 gross per year. In the case of a pension due to a partial reduction in earning capacity, the earnings limit is EUR 35,647.50.

From 2023, taxpayers can claim 5 euros for every calendar day that was worked at home in the home office. From January, the maximum limit is 200 days and 1,000 euros per year, previously it was 600 euros and a maximum of 120 home office days.

Every employee in the home office can claim this for tax purposes, even if they do not have their own office.

These changes and innovations in the area of ​​finance and taxes are coming to us from January 2023:

The Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs has stipulated that from January 1st, 2023 the citizen’s allowance will replace Hartz IV. The change brings financial advantages for those in need, because the monthly basic security increases to more than 50 euros. Single people receive 502 euros per month from 2023.

The protective assets have also been increased for savings: up to 15,000 euros per person remain protected. You can find detailed information about the citizen’s allowance online.

The savings allowance or savers’ allowance will be increased from 801 euros to 1,000 euros in the new year. For spouses, it increases from 1,602 euros to 2,000 euros.

From January 1, 2023, the health insurance contributions for those with statutory health insurance will increase. The contributions will be increased by 0.3 points to absorb the high costs of the pandemic in the healthcare sector.

You can find more changes to do with your finances here: Taxes, pensions, child benefits – this will change for your wallet in 2023

From January 2023, drivers will be faced with major changes that will affect e-mobility or old driving licenses, among other things:

In the new year, the subsidy for plug-in hybrids will be dropped. E-cars are also only subsidized to a limited extent. Private individuals will then receive a subsidy of EUR 4,500 for the new electric car instead of the previous EUR 6,000 if the car has a list price of up to EUR 40,000. A list price of up to 65,000 euros is supported with 3,000 euros, until the end of 2022 the support amounts to 5,000 euros.

The gas and electricity price brake, which will be implemented in 2023, is new

This year, the government decided on an energy price brake to relieve citizens’ financial burden, which will apply from March 2023. The months of January and February are also capped retrospectively, but are not paid out or settled until March.

The price brake for electricity is 40 cents per kilowatt hour, for gas 12 cents per kilowatt hour. The district heating price is capped at 9.5 cents per kilowatt hour.

The energy price brake caps 80 percent of consumption compared to the previous year’s consumption. The remaining 20 percent is remunerated at the provider’s fixed price.

Changes for families from January 2023:

Previously, the rule was that the first two children received 219 euros in child benefit and the third 225 euros. From January, child benefit of 250 euros per month will be paid out for each child.

From January, the child allowance increases

From January 1, 2023, the child allowance will increase by EUR 404 to EUR 8,952. Next year there will be a further increase of 360 euros.

New regulations in the health sector for 2023

In the new year, the tobacco tax will be increased, so that a pack of cigarettes will be around 10 cents more expensive.

In 2023, the minimum wage for nursing staff will be increased in two stages (May and December):