Three people died in a kiosk explosion in Düsseldorf. Among them was 18-year-old Ada Abay. Now his sister has spoken out. A fundraising campaign has also been launched for the family.

18-year-old Ada Abay lived with his mother in the apartment building in Düsseldorf where a fire raged after a kiosk explosion. “My mother told me that she woke Ada up late in the night,” his sister Asya (25) told “Bild am Sonntag” (Bams). “She noticed the fire first, opened the door to the hallway a crack and called out to him: ‘You can’t go through there,'” says sister Asya (25).

The 18-year-old wanted to get outside via the stairwell and get help for his mother. But this was tragically his undoing. Because on the first floor there was apparently a wall of fire blocking his way. He inhaled the toxic smoke and died, according to the “Bams”.

Meanwhile, his mother was rescued by the fire department using a turntable ladder. “My brother was an angel and my best friend. He was loving to everyone he met,” says sister Asya.

A call for donations for the family was launched on Friday. “His death was completely unexpected and leaves an immeasurable void in the hearts of his family and friends,” says the appeal on the “Go Fund Me” fundraising platform. The family is also facing financial challenges. “Their apartment is destroyed and nothing more “In this difficult time, we would like to help the family and support them financially to cover the funeral costs and the necessary expenses for new accommodation,” says the appeal for donations.

The explosion and fire with three deaths and 16 injuries in Düsseldorf are believed to have been caused by gasoline. The police and public prosecutor’s office said on Friday that it was spilled as an accelerant in a kiosk in the affected residential and commercial building. The body of the 48-year-old kiosk operator was discovered nearby.

According to “Bild am Sonntag”, the kiosk owner, who also died, probably wanted to set the shop on fire because he was angry about the termination of his rental agreement. In addition to the owner and the 18-year-old, a 55-year-old tenant of the house also died.