In the accident clinic in Murnau am Staffelsee (Garmisch-Partenkirchen district), a kitchen worker found a toxic substance in a coffee machine. About 190 people drank coffee from the affected machine, the police said on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of health problems after drinking coffee.

The substance found on Thursday is metaldehyde. It is often contained in so-called slug pellets. Employees and people who drank coffee from the machine on site and have health problems can report to the police in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There is most likely no danger for the affected coffee drinkers.

A police spokesman said: “We strongly believe it was placed there intentionally. How else does slug pellets get into a coffee machine?” The officers are now investigating on suspicion of attempted dangerous bodily harm.