“It looks a little empty because it currently works just fine”, says Peter Hasler, almost apologetically. The 60-Year-old leads through the halls of his nursery in the industrial area of Dietikon, ZH. On 8000 m2 around 100’000 plants thrive. Hasler is one of the few Swiss, the produce of plants. “I’m the king of the jungle from Dietikon,” says Hasler, laughing, while he shows his jungle. In one of the rooms staff saplings stuck in the little potty. They are wound over weeks or months and then sold. Its main product is the ivy. Its main customer is the Landi. 20’000 hanging baskets per year.

Hasler supplies flowers stock exchanges and major distributors, from there, florists, and garden center obtain their merchandise. Hasler feels the demand: “Although the industry as a whole will shrink more, increasing my turnover at the plants for two years.”

Holland – the hub of the plant market

30 percent produced Hasler and the rest 70 percent he receives from Holland. As cut flowers, the majority of potted plants comes from there. The Netherlands control world trade. The Dutch had been by the port of Rotterdam has always been merchants, explains about Hasler. In addition, the climate with the mild Winter, the fertile soils and the large flat surfaces for greenhouses suitable.

houseplants are booming. No apartment, without the rubber tree, Monstera, and pea plant. We explain why the green roommate are suddenly so popular, how they got rid of their dusty Image, where you come from, what you do is Good for us and what Plant is right for you home.

The Dutchman Ian Nieuwnhuis (49) is with plants. He buys directly from the growers and the goods offers its customers in Europe. Nieuwnhuis also supplies the Zurich flower market. “Small plants are grown in Holland,” he explains. “One to three meters large plants usually come from Central America and Asia.” The Netherlands acts as a hub: The plants arrive in port, be acclimatized in the greenhouses until they are driven via trucks through Europe – and after a couple of stops in our apartments to land.

production consumes a lot of energy

“no, the production of green plants is really eco-friendly,” says Nieuwnhuis. It takes a lot of energy to heat greenhouses. The truck that carts you from A to B, emit a lot of CO2. “In the case of plants nobody asks, as they are produced,” says Florist Dietrich Hüsch. Plants were not produced in a sustainable, but durable. If you think about how much fruit and vegetables a day would be thrown away. Or cut flowers would be considerably less for a long time.

Hasler does not conceal the burden on the environment. Two million litres of water he needs for his plants in the year. However, the water remains in a cycle, which he controls with an irrigation computer. “I could sit on the Canary Islands and via App my water plants,” says Hasler.

Hasler Sr., was a plant-a room-a pioneer in Switzerland

The 49-Year-old caresses a fern, he buys quite young in the Netherlands and in Switzerland is raising. You should clean the air, he says. And a nice compensation, especially in cities, are going to be obstructed, where everything is always more.

The saw from his father. Hasler was senior plant room pioneer: Rudolf Hasler founded in 1942, the company in Dietikon. The master gardeners made known in the ‘ 50s, the rubber tree (Ficus) in Switzerland. Today, the Ficus is once again one of the most popular plants.

you read in the morning: Why plants are good for and how to maintain it correctly.