antónio Guterres said that Washington chose the wrong time.
United Nations, April 15. /TASS/. UN Secretary-General, antónio Guterres, believes that now is not the time to suspend payment of contributions to the budget of the world health organization (who). With this statement he made against the decision of the President of the United States Donald trump to suspend funding of the organization in the midst of a pandemic of mers.
“Now is not the time to cut resources to who or any other humanitarian organization that fights the virus,” said Guterres. “I am sure that who needs to be supported, it is imperative that the world has won the war with COVID-19 (a disease caused by a coronavirus, a new type — approx. TASS)”.
“the world health organization, thousands of its employees fight on the front lines, helping States and their societies, particularly the most vulnerable, providing them with advice, equipment, training of health workers,” added the Executive head of the United Nations.
He stressed that the pandemic will need to “learn lessons”, but noted that “the time has not yet come”.
the American leader said Tuesday at a briefing in the White house that instructed the administration to suspend contributions to the who budget “to assess the role of the organization of mismanagement and the concealment of data on spread of coronavirus”. Previously, trump has repeatedly criticized the actions of the who.