the Construction of the road began in 1871 by the merchant Pyotr gubonina, – told “RG” the scientific employee of the Sevastopol military-historical Museum-reserve Belikova Ilona. Three years later a branch was brought to Simferopol, were the most complex of the Sevastopol area. Dramatic elevation changes, rugged terrain. Cut six tunnels, built two bridges in the area Mikenzievy mountains in the rock struck Savransky notch man – made “canyon” with a length of over 500 meters.
old postcards you can see the first building of the station of Sevastopol, built in 1875, the first bridge over Kamyshlov ravine – openwork structure made of metal.
the Exhibition will be very interesting to our veterans-the railroad, collected here are rare photographs that evoke memories – shared with “RG” the head of the station “Sevastopol” Peter ivaniuta. For example, in this square used to be the way, the so-called “triangle” to turn locomotives. It was no longer necessary after the appearance of thermal and electric traction, but the way was finally dismantled only in 1995.
the First train arrived from St. Petersburg in January, 1875, was in the way more than 60 hours. In the same year opened a commodity message and Sevastopol became the major center of grain exports.
a Separate block of the exhibition is devoted to armored train “Zheleznyakov”. In 1941-42 against the Nazis in the Crimea, fought seven armored trains. “Zheleznyakov”, built at Sevastopol marine plant, fought to the last days of defense of Sevastopol. The train had two locomotive – armored and a spare. The composition was very difficult, so both the locomotive placed in the coupling at the same time. And just a second, spare has survived to the present day and set in the form of a monument on the square Revyakin.
Is a military Museum relic, says Ilona Belikov. – June 27, 1942, during an air RAID “Zheleznyakov” was swamped in the Trinity tunnel, personnel removed the weapons and continued to keep the defense in the area of the careening ravine, and then with all the troops retreated to the area of Cape Khersones. A large part of the personnel of the armored train is missing in the battles for Sevastopol.
the piece mounted in the coupler with the engine – also the front. It participated in the battles of Tuapse in 1942-43 of 16-th separate railway batteries. In the 1990s, veterans are not allowed to cut it on metal, was taken to Sevastopol and made a part of the monument.
After the war the road was literally rebuilt. Retreating from Sevastopol, the Germans blew up all the railroad tunnels and bridges, destroyed road. But already on June 25, 1944, a month and a half after the liberation of Sevastopol, the city came the first train from Moscow.
After the liberation of Crimea, in July 1944, construction began on the lanethe first train bridge across the Kerch Strait. The year before, in 1943, the Germans built across the Strait monorail a monorail for the delivery of goods from the Caucasus.
the Bridge was built at the narrowest point of the Strait, between the oblique Pig and Kerch Peninsula – later worked there ferry. The length of the structure with a single-track railroad was five miles. The first train between the stations of the Crimea and the Caucasus was held on 3 November 1944. However, for the winter was finished only the first stage, the supports do not have time to strengthen before the start of the storms.
– it was a very cold winter, in the sea of Azov has accumulated a lot of ice, the ice destroyed the bridge on 20 February 1945, says researcher of the Museum. – However, the week before on the bridge managed to ride especially guarded train on which Stalin was returning from the Yalta conference. Only this way it took more than 2000 trains with ammunition, goods and manpower to the front.
The first railroad on the Peninsula, one kilometre long, was built in Sevastopol in 1843, she was horse-drawn and was used for transporting stones during the construction of the Admiralty. During the Crimean war the British built a 11-km railway from Balaklava to Sevastopol. After the war it was dismantled and sold to Turkey.