At least 30 security personnel were killed and more than 20 injured when a suicide car bomb hit a military base in Afghanistan early on Sunday in one of the deadliest attacks against the country’s forces in months.
The incident occurred in the main city of the eastern province of Ghazni, which has been plagued by fighting between government troops and Taliban militants.
The provincial hospital in Ghazni has received 30 bodies and 24 wounded, according to its director, Baz Mohammad Hemat. “All of them are security personnel,” he said. The governor’s office also confirmed the attack.
A suicide bomber detonated “a Humvee vehicle, which was full of explosives,” a security source told local Tolo News website.
Afghan commandos were reportedly among those stationed at the compound.
No group has so far taken responsibility for the attack.
Another suicide attack took place in Qalat, the capital of the southern Zabul Province, early on Sunday. The explosion left three civilians killed and at least 23 others wounded, including four in critical condition, Tolo News reported.
The target of the attack was most likely the head of Zabul’s provincial council, Ata Jan Haqbayan. An attempt to blow up the car in which he had been travelling was made shortly after the official left home for work. Haqbayan escaped with light injuries.
Video: Aftermath of a suicide attack on the head of #Zabul’s provincial council in Qalat city, capital of the province. #Afghanistanpic.twitter.com/TuFnm1nwd9
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Besides the Taliban, Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has also been active in the country, targeting both security personnel and civilians.
The suicide bombings in Ghazni and Qalat come as US-brokered peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban have stalled.
Like this story? Share it with a friend!