The traffic light government has so far approved arms exports worth almost 5.1 billion euros this year. This emerges from additional information from the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology on the arms export report for the past year, which the cabinet passed in Meseberg on Wednesday. For comparison: In the same period last year, the black-red coalition reportedly allowed exports worth around 2.9 billion euros.

According to the ministry, around three quarters (76 percent) of the value of the exports approved by the SPD, Greens and FDP government in the current year went to EU and NATO countries and countries that are equivalent to NATO, i.e. Australia, Japan and New Zealand and Switzerland. The remaining 24 percent, which went to third countries, is lower than in the two previous years, despite arms deliveries to Ukraine. In 2021, the proportion was 63.6 percent, in 2020 50.1 percent.

Among these so-called third countries, Ukraine, which was attacked by Russia, was the most important recipient with 56 percent of the export value. She received armaments worth around 686 million euros.

According to the Ministry of Economic Affairs, licenses worth 28.5 million euros have been issued for exports to developing countries (excluding Ukraine) in 2022, which corresponds to 0.6 percent. Such decisions could be necessary “in individual cases”, for example when it comes to protected vehicles for embassies or UN missions.

The arms export report passed by the cabinet for the past year mainly affects decisions made by the previous federal government, which was in office until December 8th. Shortly before the start of the traffic light coalition, this allowed arms exports for 4.91 billion euros, although she was only in office in an executive capacity.

Overall, the federal government approved arms exports for 9.35 billion euros last year, more than ever before. These numbers have been known since January. The increase compared to the previous year was 61 percent, the previous record value of 2019 was exceeded by more than one billion euros. Of this, approvals amounting to 309 million euros relate to the period from December 8th, when the new federal government took office.

Of the total amount, 9.04 billion euros can be traced back to approvals from the old federal government consisting of the Union and the SPD. In the first three weeks after taking office, the new traffic light coalition of SPD, Greens and FDP only allowed exports for 309 million euros.

The social association VdK has urged the federal government not to forget pensioners in their plans to relieve the burden. “With every week that nothing happens, this anger grows,” says the social association.

The boss of a Saxon IT company has announced that he wants to set up a “hardship fund for energy costs” from which his employees in need can be supported with up to 2000 euros. He hopes that the government will pave the way and the grants can be paid out without taxes.

After the debate about salaries at ARD, the focus is now on Deutschlandfunk, also a public broadcaster and GEZ-financed. An internal listing shows: Here, too, the bosses and ex-bosses collect properly.